July 23, 2012

Jack Picone talks about the X-Pro1

Continuing my posts on photographers using the Fujifilm X-Pro1, I also spoke with award-winning photojournalist and social documentary photographer Jack Picone on his views about this remarkable new camera...

“My mantra is’ slow is fast’ – you look, you think, you wait and then you make the picture. I like the psychology of the X-Pro1…it allows me to connect with the people I am photographing” - Jack Picone, Melbourne May 2012

Jack Picone spent a decade covering the world's conflict zones including Iraq, Sudan, Rwanda and Palestine, but this work is only partly representative of his oeuvre, which also involves social documentary projects and workshops.

He says the X-Pro1 is a “quiet camera, very subtle. I can use it on the streets or with people in sensitive situations and it is such an understated retro design that people don’t react to it. It isn’t like a DSLR, which is like a house brick that is in front of your face. With this camera people either ignore you or if they do take notice of you they don’t see you as a professional photographer, they see you as a human being. Being able to strike a rapport with people in a more seamless way is, for me, poetry”.

“It is a more intelligent way to work. I think DSLRs are very clever, but I don’t like them physically. I am really happy with this camera and I was doing back flips when it came on the market.”

Jack is a one body, one lens photographer and uses the 18mm. He says, “For documentary photography or photojournalism you need to be close. Use your legs and walk into the picture. Talk to people, build a rapport and create a visual conversation”.

Below is a selection of photographs Jack shot recently on the X-Pro1 on the streets of Hong Kong.

















All photos (C) Jack Picone 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment